Weatherford ISD Board of Trustees Named 2009 Texas Outstanding School Board
By Shelley Seale
Texas School Business Magazine
The Weatherford ISD Board of Trustees was selected as the State’s Outstanding School Board for 2009 in the Texas Association of School Administrators’ School Board Awards Program. Five Texas school district boards were selected as finalists and were interviewed by TASA’s School Board Awards Committee at the TASA/TASB Convention in Houston in October.
The School Board Awards competition was created in 1971 to recognize school boards that demonstrate outstanding service to the children of Texas. The criteria used to select the Honor Boards are:
The board’s policy-making procedures:
- Adherence to adopted board policies
- Support for educational performance in accordance with state-established standards
- Support for educational improvement projects
- Commitment to a code of ethics
- Provision of financial support for the school system
- Participation in workshops and other performance improvement programs
- Placement of the welfare of children served by the school system above personal or political motives
- Public relations efforts, including community awareness, and evidence of harmonious and supportive relationships among board members.
This was the second win for the Weatherford ISD board; it was also selected as the state’s Outstanding School Board in 1994.
Every decision made by the Weatherford ISD board relates to the school district’s five goals to ensure the best education possible for Weatherford ISD’s children: focus on student success; focus on students, parents and communities; focus on operational excellence; focus on employees and organizational development; and focus on stewardship.