It’s time for us to get your input on the 2024-2025 school calendar! When developing the draft school calendar for our staff, families, and community to review, we ask members of our District Educational Improvement Council (DEIC) to take into consideration the following and to submit draft calendars for consideration:
Families and Staff Preferences
- Students start late in August
- End the school year before June 1st
- One full week off at Thanksgiving
- At least two weeks off at Christmas (over 3 weekends, if possible)
- One week off for Spring Break
- Honor Traditional Holidays:
Labor Day, MLK Jr. Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day
Texas Education Code Requirements:
- Must include a minimum of 75,600 instructional minutes
- Currently each full day has 460 minutes, each Early Release Day has 280 minutes.
- Approximately 1380-1840 extra minutes are included for bad weather.
- After students start school, up to 2100 minutes of Professional Development (PD) may count towards instructional minutes. Each PD Day is worth 420 instructional minutes.
- Teachers must have 187 work days
- Cannot finish the school year prior to May 15th
Three draft calendars, submitted by members of the DEIC, are now being shared with you for consideration.
Please review each draft calendar carefully and submit your 1st and 2nd choice vote for the calendars you feel best meets the needs of our students, families, and staff. The survey link will close on Monday, December 4, 2023 at noon.
Once we receive the survey data, Weatherford ISD administration will make a recommendation to the Board of Trustees.
To take the survey, visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/69BMGN9
Thank you for giving feedback on the 2024-2025 school calendar.