Weatherford ISD is excited to offer a full-day Pre-Kindergarten program beginning in August 2019. The program will be held at two elementary campuses and will follow the normal school day schedule.
Enrollment for the full-day Pre-K program will be held on Thursday, April 18, 2019 from 9:00 am – 6:30 pm at the Bowie Learning Center – Conference Center. This facility is located at 900 N. Elm Street in Weatherford.
Pre-K Attendance Zones - Transportation Provided
Ikard, Curtis, Wright, and Austin students will attend Ikard
Seguin, Crockett, and Martin students will attend Seguin
A full-day Pre-Kindergarten program offers several advantages for both students and their families:
• Develops vocabulary, math, and literacy skills for students
• Students improve 11-12 standard points on vocabulary and math skills
• Students are more advanced across multiple reading measures
• Economically disadvantaged students attending a high-quality full day Pre-K typically score higher on 3rd grade state assessments
• Provides an educational option for families whose work schedules don’t allow their children to attend a half-day Pre-K program
To qualify for the Pre-K program, a student must meet the following eligibility requirements:
• Child must be 4 years old on/before September 1, 2019
• Child must live within the Weatherford ISD boundaries
• Child must meet one of the following state based criteria
o is unable to speak and comprehend the English language; or
o is educationally disadvantaged; or
o is homeless, as defined by 42 U.S.C. Section 1143a, regardless of the residence of the child, of either parent of the child, or of the child's guardian or other person having lawful control of the child; or
o is the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority; or
o is the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty; or
o is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code
o be the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as: a peace officer under Section 3106.002, Government Code; a firefighter under Section 3106.003, Government Code; or an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004, Government Code
For more information on qualifications and enrollment, including what to bring to register your child for full day Pre-K, please click on the headline.
Read More »