EMERGENCIES AND ILLNESSES
- In the event of an injury or illness of a student, the school nurse or designated staff member shall attempt to notify the parent, legal guardian or other designated responsible party.
- If the school office is unable to contact a responsible party, the principal and/or school nurse shall assume responsibility for obtaining appropriate emergency care.
- It is the parent/guardian’s responsibility to provide telephone numbers so that they or a designated adult can be reached.
- Students requiring urgent medical intervention but whose condition is not life threatening, will be assessed and given first aid by the school nurse or designee. Parents will be promptly notified and will be responsible for transporting the student to obtain appropriate medical care.
- Students found in a life-threatening situation requiring immediate medical assistance, transportation or advanced life-support measures will be assessed and treated by the school nurse while emergency personnel are in route. First-aid will be given on campus and parents will be notified as soon as possible.
- Appropriate care of students with life-threatening emergencies will be first priority in the clinic. If deemed necessary by the medical team, the child will be transported immediately. Time may not permit parent notification as soon as the district would prefer due to the emergency situation; however, notification will be made by the RN or a WISD staff member as soon as possible. The school office will continue to search for the parents or persons listed as emergency contacts while the child is being transported. Our first priority will be the medical stabilization of the ill or injured person.
The choice of which emergency department will be used will be made by emergency medical personnel. The school district assumes no financial responsibility for transportation or medical treatment of the child.