Sick Leave Pool
An employee who has exhausted all paid leave and who suffers from a catastrophic illness or injury or is absent due to the catastrophic illness or injury of a member of the employee’s immediate family (immediate family means spouse, child, or parent) may request the establishment of a sick leave pool to which District employees may donate only local leave for use by the eligible employee. If the employee is unable to submit the request, a member of the employee’s family or the employee’s supervisor may submit the request to establish a sick leave pool. The pool shall cease to exist when:
- the employee no longer needs leave for the purpose requested,
- uses the maximum number of days allowed under a pool,
- exhausts all leave days donated to the sick leave pool.
A maximum of three local days may be donated by an individual. The total number of days available to an employee in a sick leave pool may not exceed the number of leave days available to the employee.
Process to Activate a Pool:
- The employee makes a written request to the principal or supervisor.
- The employee submits a Certificate of Health Care Provider for Employment for Employee's Serious Health Condition form. The physician’s statement must be completed by a MD or DO.
- The principal/supervisor forwards the request to the HR department.
- HR department verifies the unexpected surgery, extended illness/injury.
- HR department verifies available paid leave.
- A Request for Donation of Sick Leave Form is forwarded to the employee’s campus or department. Other district employees not on the employee’s campus or in their department may request a form from HR.
- The HR department tallies the number of pool days donated and allocates the days to the employee leave balance and keeps track of the number of days used.
Please note: Donated days may not be used for absences prior to the establishment of the sick leave pool.
Any additional questions should be addressed to the Human Resources office.